One of the perks of working at Morgan McKinley is that we can access regular training; online and classroom. When I received an invite for this week’s training, I couldn’t seem to work it into my schedule. I turned to my colleague and remarked, ‘I’m up to my eyeballs, no time for training’. The training topic was ‘time management’. After recognising the irony in my statement, I went back to my calendar and accepted the invitation!
The training was based around Steven Covey’s book; “’The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People’ (read it!).
One challenge in my job is that I can get distracted with various tasks that require my attention. If you are like I was, you may not feel content to leave the office until you respond to all queries. For me, there’s nothing worse then getting home, putting the feet up and suddenly remembering that you have forgotten to respond to a key client or candidate.
“The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot”
Covey suggests breaking tasks in to four quadrants:
- Quadrant 1 – Urgent and important
- Quadrant 2 – Not urgent but important
- Quadrant 3 – Not important but urgent
- Quadrant 4 – Not important and not urgent
- Brainstorm – What are your goals? What are you trying to achieve with your time and with your life?
- Write down a “to do” list and enter them into the matrix
- Focus your attention on Quadrant One and Two
- Watch the below video: